The Department of Pharmacy, State University of Bangladesh (SUB) is one of the pioneering departments in the private sector, which is offering Pharmacy education in Bangladesh due to its high-quality teaching and excellence in research. The department has been delivering world-class education since 2004 by ensuring outstanding teaching by highly qualified and experienced faculty members, extensive hands on demonstration in the laboratories and innovative world class research activities. The department aims to develop the students’ research capacity through its well-equipped and advanced laboratories and technical knowledge concerning the recent and up-to-date developments in pharmaceutical sciences. In 2021, the faculty members of the department have published 60 research articles in internationally recognized peer-reviewed and top-ranking scientific journals. The Scopus, Web of Science and PubMed databases have indexed a substantial number of the published papers and several articles have been published by the world-famous publishers such as Elsevier, Springer, Taylor & Francis, BioMed Central, SAGE, Wiley, Frontiers, MDPI, Cell and so on.
List of publications (2021)
Department of Pharmacy, State University of Bangladesh
1. Hossain MJ, Sultan MZ, Rashid MA, Kuddus MR. Interactions of linagliptin, rabeprazole sodium, and their formed complex with bovine serum albumin: computational docking and spectroscopic approaches. Analytical Science Advances (Wiley) 2021 (2): 480-495. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/ansa.202000153
2. Hossain MJ, Ahmmed F, Rahman SMA, Sanam S, Emran TB, Mitra, S. Impact of online education on fear of academic delay and psychological distress among university students following one year of COVID-19 outbreak in Bangladesh. Heliyon 2021; 7(6). e07388. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2021.e07388
3. Hossain MJ. Social organizations and mass media in covid-19 battle: a bi-directional approach in Bangladesh. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health 2021; 33(4): 467-468. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/10105395211002601
4. Hossain MJ, Islam MS, Shariar S, Sanam S, Emran TB, Khatun CS, Islam MR, Mitra S, Dhama K. Comedication of rabeprazole sodium causes potential drug-drug interaction with diabetic drug linagliptin: in vitro and in silico approaches. Journal of Experimental Biology and Agricultural Science 2021; 9(4): 528-542. DOI: 10.18006/2021.9(4).528.542
5. Hossain MJ, Jannat T, Brishty SR, Roy U, Mitra S, Rafi MO, Islam MR, Nesa ML, Islam MA, Emran TB. Clinical efficacy and safety of repurposed antiviral drugs against covid-19: what we know so far. Biologics 2021; 1(2): 252-284. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/biologics1020016
6. Hossain MJ, Soma MA, Islam MR, Emran TB. Urgent call for actionable measures to fight the current co-epidemic of dengue burden during the SARS-CoV-2 delta variant era in South-Asia. Ethics, Medicine and Public Health 2021; 19: 100726. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemep.2021.100726
7. Hossain MJ, Rahman SMA, Emran TB, Mitra S, Islam MR, Dhama K. Hossain MJ, Rahman SM, Emran TB, Mitra S, Islam MR, Dhama K. Recommendation and roadmap of mass vaccination against coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic in Bangladesh as a lower-middle-income country. Archives of Razi Institute 2021; 76(6): 1823-30. DOI: 10.22092/ari.2021.356357.1824
8. Hossain MJ, Soma MA, Bari MS, Emran TB, Islam MR. COVID-19 and child marriage in Bangladesh: emergency call to action. BMJ Pediatrics Open 2021; 5: 1, DOI: 10.1136/bmjpo-2021-001328
9. Hossain MJ, Kuddus MR, Rahman SMA. Knowledge, attitudes, and behavioral responses towards COVID-19 during early phase in Bangladesh: A questionnaire-based study. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health 2021; 33 (1): 141-144. DOI: 10.1177/1010539520977328.
10. Hossain MJ, Kuddus, MR, Rashid MA, & Sultan MZ. Understanding and dealing the SARS-CoV-2 infection: an updated concise review. Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Journal 2021; 24(1): 61-75. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3329/bpj.v24i1.51637
11. Hossain MJ, Rahman SMA. Repurposed therapeutic agents against SARS-CoV-2 infection: Most promising and neoteric progress. Expert Review of Anti-infective Therapy 2021; 19(8): 1009-1027. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/14787210.2021.1864327
12. Hossain MJ, Ahmmed F, Kuddus MR, Alam S, Rahman, SMA. Exploring public awareness and spreading pattern analysis of COVID-19 outbreak in Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science 2021; 20(5): 108–117. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3329/bjms.v20i5.55403
13. Hossain MJ, Hridoy A, Rahman SMA, Ahmmed F. Major depressive and generalized anxiety disorders among university students during the second wave of COVID-19 outbreak in Bangladesh. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health 2021; 33(5): 676-678. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/10105395211014345.
14. Bari MS, Hossain MJ, Akhter S, Emran TB. Delta variant and black fungal invasion: a bidirectional assault might worsen the massive second/third stream of COVID-19 outbreak in South-Asia. Ethics, Medicine and Public Health 2021; 19: 100722. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemep.2021.100722
15. Bari MS, Hossain MJ, Ahmmed F, Sarker MMR, Khandokar L, Chaithy AP, Aziz F, Mitra S, Emran TB, Islam MR, and Mohamed IN. Knowledge, perception, and willingness towards immunization among Bangladeshi population during covid-19 vaccine rolling period. Vaccines 2021; 9(12): 1449. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/vaccines9121449
16. Islam MR, Hossain MJ. Detection of Omicron (B.1.1.529) variant has created panic among the people across the world: What should we do right now? Journal of medical virology 2021. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/jmv.27546
17. Bristhy SR, Hossain MJ, Khandaker MU, Faruque MR, Osman H, Rahman SMA. A Comprehensive account on recent progress in pharmacological activities of benzimidazole derivatives. Frontiers in Pharmacology 2021; 12: 762807. DOI: 10.3389/fphar.2021.762807
18. Islam MR, Hossain MJ. Increments of gender-based violence amid COVID-19 in Bangladesh: A threat to global public health and women’s health. International Journal of Health Planning and Management 2021; 36(6): 2436-2440. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/hpm.3284
19. Anjum N, Hossain MJ, Haque MR, Chowdhury A, Rashid MA, & Kuddus, MR. Phytochemical Investigation of Schleichera oleosa (Lour.) Oken Leaf. Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Journal 2021; 24(1): 33-36. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3329/bpj.v24i1.51633
20. Islam MR, Hossain MJ. Social stigma and suicide in Bangladesh: The Covid-19 has worsened the situation. Chronic Stress 2021; 5: 24705470211035602. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/24705470211035602
21. Khatun MCS, Muhit MA, Hossain MJ, Al-Mansur MA, Rahman SMA. Isolation of phytochemical constituents from Stevia rebaudiana (Bert.) and evaluation of their anticancer, antimicrobial and antioxidant properties via in vitro and in silico approaches. Heliyon 2021; 7(12): e08475. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2021.e08475
22. Ahmmed F, Manik MMR, Hossain MJ. Caesarian section (CS) delivery in Bangladesh: a nationally representative cross-sectional study. PLoS ONE 2021; 16(7): e0254777. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0254777
23. Das R, Mitra S, Tarek AM, Emran TB, Hossain MJ, Alqahtani AM, Alghazwani Y, Dhama K, Gandara JS. Medicinal plants used against hepatic disorders in Bangladesh: A comprehensive review. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2021; 282: 114588. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2021.114588
24. Sarker MT, Hasan AQ, Rafi M, Hossain MJ, Abd El-Mageed HR, Elsapagh RM, Capasso R, Emran TB. A Comprehensive Overview of the Newly Emerged COVID-19 Pandemic: Features, Origin, Genomics, Epidemiology, Treatment, and Prevention. Biologics. 2021; 1(3): 357-83. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/biologics1030021
25. El-Magged HR, Abdelreheem DA, Rafi MO, Sarker MT, Al-khafaji K, Hossain MJ, Capasso R, Emran TB. In Silico Evaluation of Different Flavonoids from Medicinal Plants for their Potency against SARS-CoV-2. Biologics 2021; 1(3): 416-434. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/biologics1030024
26. Uddin TM, Chakraborty AJ, Khusro A, Zidan BR, Mitra S, Emran TB, Dhama K, Ripon MK, Gajdács M, Sahibzada MU, Hossain MJ, Koirala N. Antibiotic resistance in microbes: History, mechanisms, therapeutic strategies and future prospects. Journal of infection and public health. 2021; 14(12): 1750-1766. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiph.2021.10.020
27. Islam MR, Jannath S, Moona AA, Akter S, Hossain MJ, Islam SMA. Association between the use of social networking sites and mental health of young generation in Bangladesh: a cross-sectional study. Journal of Community Psychology 2021; 49(7): 2276-2297. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/jcop.22675
28. Liu D, Ouyang YZ, Chen R, Wang M, Ai C, El-Seedi HR, Sarker MMR, Chen X, Zhao C. Nutraceutical potentials of algal ulvan for healthy aging. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 2021; 194:422-434. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2021.11.084
29. Li X, Gao X, Zhang H, Liu Y, Sarker MMR, Wu Y, Chen X, Zhao C. The anti-hyperuricemic effects of green alga Enteromorpha prolifera polysaccharide via regulation of the uric acid transporters in vivo. Food and Chemical Toxicology 2021; 158: 112630. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2021.112630
30. Jing X, Sarker MMR, Alam S, Gifari AJ, Akhter S, Khan F, Soma MA. Piper betel juice improved lipid profile and hepatic oxidative stress in high-fat-diet induced hyperlipidemic rats. Revista De Educacion 2021; 392(4): 73-98.
31. Ang LP, Lean YL, Kalusalingam A, Khan A, Kotra V, Sarker MMR, Liew KB, Ming LC. Determination of aristolochic acid using isocratic RP-HPLC method. Progress in Drug Discovery and Biomedical Science 2021; 4 (1): a0000234. DOI: 10.36877/pddbs.a0000234
32. Sultana A, Shahriar S, Tahsin MR, Mim SR, Fatema KR, Saha A, Yesmin F, Bahar NB, Samodder M, Mamun MAH, Aknur Rahman M, Ferdousy S, Akter T, Aktar F, Kuddus MR, Rahman MM, Sarker MMR, Büyüker SM, Chowdhury JA, Chowdhury AA, Kabir S, Hossain MA, Amran MS. A retrospective cross-sectional study assessing self-reported adverse events following immunization (AEFI) of the covid-19 vaccine in Bangladesh. Vaccines (Basel) 2021; 9(10): 1090. DOI: 10.3390/vaccines9101090.
33. Hossain MS, Sharfaraz A, Dutta A, Ahsan A, Masud MA, Ahmed IA, Goh BH, Urbi Z, Sarker MMR, Ming LC. A review of ethnobotany, phytochemistry, antimicrobial pharmacology and toxicology of Nigella sativa L. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy 2021; 143:112182. DOI: 10.1016/j.biopha.2021.112182
34. Anmol RJ, Marium S, Hiew FT, Han WC, Kwan LK, Wong AKY, Khan F, Sarker MMR, Chan SY, Kifli N, Ming LC. Phytochemical and therapeutic potential of Citrus grandis (l.) osbeck: a review. Journal of Evidence-Based Integrative Medicine 2021; 26: 1-20. DOI: 10.1177/2515690X211043741.
35. Alam S, Sarker MMR, Afrin S, Richi FT, Zhao C, Zhou J-R, Mohamed IN. Traditional herbal medicines, bioactive compounds, and plant products against COVID-19: update on clinical trials and mechanisms of action. Frontiers in Pharmacology 2021; 12: 671498. DOI: 10.3389/fphar.2021.671498
36. Alam S, Kamal TB, Sarker MMR, Zhou J-R, Rahman SMA, Mohamed IN. Therapeutic effectiveness and safety of repurposing drugs for the treatment of COVID-19: position standing in 2021. Frontiers in Pharmacology 2021; 12: 659577. DOI: 10.3389/fphar.2021.659577
37. Alam S, Rashid MA, Sarker MMR, Emon NU, Arman M, Mohamed IN, Haque MR. Antidiarrheal, antimicrobial and antioxidant potentials of methanol extract of Colocasia gigantea Hook. f. leaves: evidenced from in vivo and in vitro studies along with computer-aided approaches. BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapy 2021; 21: 119. DOI: 10.1186/s12906-021-03290-6
38. Ang LP, Ng PW, Lean YL, Kotra V, Kifli N, Goh HP, Lee KS, Sarker MMR, Al-Worafi YM, Ming LC. herbal products containing aristolochic acids: a call to revisit the context of safety. Journal of Herbal Medicine 2021; 28: 100447 DOI: 10.1016/j.hermed.2021.100447
39. Sarker MMR, Khan F, Mohamed IN. Therapeutic potential of Carica papaya L. leaves for the treatment of dengue fever: A Review Based on Scientific Evidences. Frontiers in Pharmacology 2021; 12: 610912. DOI: 10.3389/fphar.2021.610912
40. Sarker MMR. Evaluation of red and green colored bell peppers for the production of polyclonal igm and igg antibodies in murine spleen cells. Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Journal 2021; 24(1): 45-53. DOI:10.3329/bpj.v24i1.51635.
41. Israfil SMH, Sarker MMR, Rashid PT, Talukder AA, Kawsar KA, Khan F, Akhter S, La PC, Ming LC, Mohamed IN. Clinical characteristics and diagnostic challenges of COVID-19 : an update from the global perspective. Frontiers in Public Health 2021; 8:567395. DOI: 10.3389/fpubh.2020.567395
42. Alam S, Emon NU, Hasib MS, Rashid MA, Soma MA, Saha T, Haque MR. Computer-aided approaches to support the ethnopharmacological importance of dillenia pentagyna roxb.: an in silico study. Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Journal 2021; 24(2): 125-32. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3329/bpj.v24i2.54711
43. Obonti AT, Alam S, Kamal TB, Zaman A, Hasnat H, Saha T, Islam MA. Prospective Plants with Corroborated Antimalarial Actions: A Review. Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Journal 2021; 24(2): 180-93. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3329/bpj.v24i2.54716
44. Emon NU, Alam S, Rudra S, Riya SR, Paul A, Hossen SM, Kulsum U, Ganguly A. Antidepressant, anxiolytic, antipyretic, and thrombolytic profiling of methanol extract of the aerial part of Piper nigrum: In vivo, in vitro, and in silico approaches. Food Science & Nutrition 2021; 9(2): 833-46. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/fsn3.2047
45. Alam MM, Emon NU, Alam S, Rudra S, Akhter N, Mamun MM, Ganguly A. Assessment of pharmacological activities of Lygodium microphyllum Cav. leaves in the management of pain, inflammation, pyrexia, diarrhea, and helminths: In vivo, in vitro and in silico approaches. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy 2021; 139: 111644. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2021.111644
46. Emon NU, Rudra S, Alam S, Al Haidar IK, Paul S, Richi FT, Shahriar S, Sayeed MA, Tumpa NI, Ganguly A. Chemical, biological and protein-receptor binding profiling of Bauhinia scandens L. stems provide new insights into the management of pain, inflammation, pyrexia and thrombosis. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy 2021; 143(1): 112185. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2021.112185
47. Kabir F, Jaman AU, Rumpa RA, Jannat T, Alam S, Saha T, Islam MA, Soma MA. In vitro and in vivo investigations provide new insights into bioactivities of Blumea clarkei hook. f. leaves. Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Journal 2021; 24(2): 149-58. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3329/bpj.v24i2.54713
48. Shahriar S, Koly FJ. A cross-sectional study on Bangladeshi students regarding physiological challenges of online education. Pharmacy Education 2021; 21(1): 267-75. DOI: 10.46542/pe.2021.211.267275
49. Islam MM, Shahriar S, Koly FJ, Kabir S, Chowdhury AA, Chowdhury JA, Tahsin MR, Amran MS. A cross-sectional pilot study on COVID-19 disease pattern, recovery status and effect of co-morbidities in Bangladesh. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology 2021; 15(5): 84-91. DOI: 10.5897/AJPP2021.5228
50. Koly FJ, Shahriar S, Sayeed S, Islam A, Amran MS. A cross-sectional pilot study on paracetamol consumption patterns among the students residing in the urban areas of Bangladesh. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2021; 13(3): 1-8. DOI: 10.31838/ijpr/2021.13.03.002
51. Koly SF, Chowdhury AA, Shahriar S, Amran MS. Development and validation of an ultra-violet spectroscopic analytical method for analysis of amlaki in marketed preparation using methanol as a solvent. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2021; 13(2): 2535-42. DOI: 10.31838/ijpr/2021.13.02.315
52. Shahriar S, Rana MS, Hossain M, Karim A, Mredula TN, Nourin N, Uddin MS, Amran MS. COVID-19: epidemiology, pathology, diagnosis, treatment, and impact. Current Pharmaceutical Design 2021; 27(33): 3502-25. DOI: 10.2174/1381612827666210224142446
53. Hossain MS, Amin MN, Das A, Khan JH, Md Sohel M, Ahmed J, Islam MM, Hossain MS, Rahman MM, Nesa ML, Islam MS. Increased lipid peroxidation, depleted non-enzymatic antioxidant, and variability in trace elements concentration in serum are correlated with Bangladeshi end-stage renal disease population. Health Science Reports 2021; 4: e348. DOI: 10.1002/hsr2.348
54. Saha T, Alam MM, Lira DN, Rouf AS. Formulation and evaluation of effects of super disintegrants on immediate release tablet of linagliptin, a ddp-4 inhibitor. Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Journal 2021; 24(2): 168-79. DOI: 10.3329/bpj.v24i2.54715
55. Morshed MM, Rana MS, Emran TB, Sohel MD, Kawsar MH. Nutritional Analysis and Mineral Content Determination of Emilia sonchifolia DC. Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Journal 2021; 24(1): 54-60. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3329/bpj.v24i1.51636
56. Sohel MD, Asif F, Mondal TK, Sumon MH, Kawsar MH. Analysis between Linagliptin and Azithromycin: In vitro and In vivo Interaction Study. Drug Metabolism Letters 2021; 14(3): 193-205. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2174/1872312814666210910123056
57. Bari MS, Khandokar L, Haque E, Romano B, Capasso R, Seidel V, Haque MA, Rashid MA. Ethnomedicinal uses, phytochemistry, and biological activities of plants of the genus Gynura. J Ethnopharmacol. 2021; 271: 113834. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2021.113834.
58. Khandokar L, Bari MS, Seidel V, Haque MA. Ethnomedicinal uses, phytochemistry, pharmacological activities and toxicological profile of Glycosmis pentaphylla (Retz.) DC.: A review. J Ethnopharmacol. 2021; 278: 114313. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2021.114313.
59. Pinkey AAH, Khan ZI, Taher MA, Soma MA. Elaeocarpus serratus L. Exhibits potential analgesic and antidiarrheal activities in mice model. IJMMR 2021; 6(2):44-51. Doi: https://doi.org/10.11603/ijmmr.2413-6077.2020.2.11388
60. Sazed SA. Islam O, Bliese SL, Hossainey, M.R.H.; Shawon, J.; Mahmud, A.; Soma, M.A.; Rashid, M.A.; Rahman, M.S.; Ghosh, P.; Alam, M.S. Exploratory Analysis into the in vitro and in silico Activity of E. fusca Lour. (Fabaceae) Elucidates Substantial Antiplasmodial Activity of the Plant. Preprints 2021. doi: 10.20944/preprints202010.0576.v2.