Dr. Md. Abdur Rashid is a Professor of Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Dhaka. He obtained his B. Pharm. (Hons.) and M. Pharm. Degrees from University of Dhaka, Bangladesh securing the first position in first class in both the examinations and Ph.D. from University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, U.K. He has specialization in Natural Product Chemistry and Spectroscopy. He has served in the US National Cancer Institute (NCI) from 1993-1995 as Post-Doctoral Fellow and 1997-2011 as Visiting Scientist/Scientist. He was the Dean of the Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Dhaka from 2003 to 2010. He is a Fellow of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences (FBAS) and the Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC), UK. His research interests include: Isolation and characterization of bio-active compounds from medicinal plants, microbes and marine animals; Application of modern NMR techniques to structural elucidation of organic molecules, with special emphasis on marine peptides and macrolides; Synthesis of chemically unique and biologically interesting compounds and evaluation of their pharmacological activities. In addition to the mainstream research, his interests are also extended to other aspects of natural product chemistry, evaluation of traditionally used medicines and their source materials, chemical taxonomy of higher plants, insect control agents from plants, etc. So far, Dr. Rashid has published more than 480 papers in peer-reviewed international and national journals. In addition, he is the co-author of 10 books including a reference book entitled “Fundamentals of Pharmacy and Pharmacy Practices” (ISBN: 978-984-33-5795-3). He has participated in many national and international seminars and conferences and delivered invited and plenary lectures. Also, he has chaired sessions in many international and national seminars and conferences. Recently, he has been recognized as one of the most contributing authors of scientific papers in “100 Years of Publications of University of Dhaka in Scopus Database” [https://scientificbangladesh.com/100-years-publications-of-university-of-dhaka-in-scopus-database/] (Accessed on February 15, 2021). In 2008, he has been listed as one of the most productive scientists in the OIC member states (http://www.comstech.org). Dr. Rashid has received several international and national awards, including Federation of Asian of Pharmaceutical Associations (FAPA) 2020 Ishidate Award in Pharmaceutical Research, SFE-T. Sen Oration Award-2018 at the 18th International Congress of International Society for Ethnopharmacology (ISE) and 5th International Congress of Society for Ethnolpharmacology India (SFEC)- 2018, Constant Outstanding Performance Awards (COPA) from NCI (USA), the Chancellor's Award and Bangladesh Academy of Sciences- 3rd World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) Award. He is also the recipient of BAS- Dr. M.O. Ghani Memorial Gold Medal from Bangladesh Academy of Sciences and Ibrahim Memorial Gold Medal & Abdur Rob Chowdhury Memorial Gold Medal from University of Dhaka for outstanding contribution in sciences. He is the Associate Editor of the Dhaka University Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences (www.dujps.com) and Executive Editor of Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Journal (www.bpj-bd.com). Dr. Rashid has been serving as a member of the Editorial Advisory Board of Journal of Natural Products (American Chemical Society publication) for the period of 2012 to 2022 and Journal of Herbal Medicine (UK). Dr. Rashid has received research grants from Ministry of Science and Technology, Ministry of Education, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh; University of Dhaka and University Grants Commission, including the World Bank (HEQEP).
Awards & Achievements
- Recipient of Federation of Asian of Pharmaceutical Associations (FAPA) 2020 Ishidate Award in Pharmaceutical Research.
- Received SFE-T. Sen Oration Award-2018 at the 18th International Congress of International Society for Ethnopharmacology& 5th International Congress of the Society for Ethnopharmacology (ISE-SFE 2018), held in NababNawab Ali Chowdhury Senate Bhaban, University of Dhaka during 13-15 January 2018, for outstanding contribution in scientific research.
- Listed as the most contributing author of scientific papers in “100 Years of Publications of University of Dhaka in Scopus Database” https://scientificbangladesh.com/100-years-publications-of-university-of-dhaka-in-scopus-database/ (Accessed on February 15, 2021)
- Listed as one of the top ten authors of scientific papers in Bangladesh. https://scientificbangladesh.com/total-scientific-publications-with-bangladeshi-contribution-in-scopus-databse-from-1887-to-2018/ (Accessed on November 20, 2020).
- Admitted as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC) on April 24, 2015.
- Elected as a member of the Asiatic Society of Bangladesh from 2015.
- Nominated as a Member of the Research Committee for School of Science at Katmandu University, Nepal for three years from 2015-2017.
- Elected as a Fellow of the Bangladesh Academy of Sciences in the election of the fellows for the year 2011.
- Received award for the best plenary lecture entitled “Phyto-pharmacological studies of some medicinal plants of Bangladesh with special emphasis to anti-diabetic drug discovery" in the International Conference on Diabetes Mellitus and Cancer (DIA-CAN'2012) held inAnnamalai University, Chidambaram, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India duringDecember 14-14, 2012.
- Received Ibrahim Memorial Gold Medal at the 46th Convocation of the University of Dhaka for the year 2003-2004for outstanding contribution in scientific research.
- Awarded Abdur Rob Chowdhury Memorial Gold Medal the 45th Convocation of the University of Dhaka for 2005-2006 for extraordinary research achievement in Biological Sciences.
- Awarded BAS-Dr. M.O. Ghani Memorial Gold Medal for the year 2005 in recognition of significant contribution in the field of Natural Products Research.
- Listed as one of the most productive leading scientists of the OIC member states in 2007-2008 (http://www.comstech.org) [with highest point among the listed scientists with in University of Dhaka].
- Honorary Doctor of Science (D.Sc.) by the Open International University of Complementary Medicines, Colombo, Sri Lanka in December 1996
- Young investigator’s prize for 1996 by the Third World Academy of Sciences/Bangladesh Academy of Sciences for significant contribution to Natural Products Chemistry.
- Constant Outstanding Performance Awards (COPA by the SAIC Frederick, NCI-FCRDC, USA for the period ending
- Stelleta award for commitment and perseverance during postdoctoral research at the Laboratory of Drug Discovery Research and Development (LDDRD), NCI, NIH, USA in 1995.
- Chancellor’s award given by the President of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh.
- Muhit Khan’s award for outstanding result in the B. Pharm. (Hons.) examination.
- Fogarty post-doctoral fellowship by the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) to work in the NCI’s anti-cancer and anti-HIV drug discovery programs.
- Commonwealth Scholarship awarded by the Association of Commonwealth Universities tenable at the University of Strathclyde, U.K. for carrying out research leading to Doctor of Philosophy
- Awarded books by the University of Dhaka for credential results in both B. Pharm. (Hons.) and M. Pharm. examinations.
- Also received scholarships at various levels of school, college and university education.
A) Overall scenarios
Here, the data has been presented taking the whole university into account.The top 15 researchers with overall highest publications