Mr. Md. Abdul Aziz is currently serving as a Lecturer in the Department of Pharmacy, State University of Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Mr. Aziz has completed his post-graduation (M. Pharm in Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacology) and graduation (B. Pharm) from the Department of Pharmacy, Noakhali Science and Technology University (NSTU), Noakhali-3814, Bangladesh. He is passionate about Pharmacogenomics, Cancer Genomics, and Molecular Biology research. He has been working in these areas since 2018 and published 26 articles including research articles, reviews, and systematic review and meta-analysis in international peer reviewed journals published by Elsevier, Springer Nature, Wiley, Bentham Science (https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=g_EC0M8AAAAJ). Mr. Aziz has worked on several research projects on the Pharmacogenomics of Bangladeshi lung, breast, cervical, colorectal, and prostate cancers. Mr. Abdul Aziz is currently working on multiple national and international collaborative research projects that mainly focus on the association of different genetic polymorphisms with neurodevelopmental disorders, autism spectrum disorder, schizophrenia, diabetes, cancers, and childhood disorders. Mr. Aziz was a member of Laboratory of Pharmacogenomics and Molecular Biology, Department of Pharmacy, NSTU headed by Professor Dr. Mohammad Safiqul Islam, one of the renowned researchers in the field of Pharmacogenomics research in Bangladesh. From the beginning of COVID-19 outbreak, he has been engaged with COVID-19 related research. He was awarded National Science and Technology (NST) Fellowship from the Ministry of Science and Technology, Bangladesh. Mr. Aziz is a member of the Pharmacogenomics Global Research Network (PGRN) and Pharmacogenetics Variation Consortium (PharmVar). He is also an A grade registered pharmacist (Registration no.: A-16483) under Pharmacy Council of Bangladesh.
- Aziz MA, Akter T, Hussain MS, Millat MS, Uddin MS, Sajal M, Jafrin S, Aka TD, Akter T, Das C, Islam MS. Association of rs363598 and rs360932 polymorphisms with autism spectrum disorder in the Bangladeshi children. Meta Gene. 2020;100733. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mgene.2020.100733.
- Islam MS, Barek MA, Aziz MA, Aka TD, Jakaria M. Association of age, sex, comorbidities, and clinical symptoms with the severity and mortality of COVID-19 cases: a meta-analysis with 85 studies and 67299 cases. MedRxiv [preprint]. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.05.23.20110965.
- Jafrin S, Aziz MA, Anonna SN, Akter T, Naznin NE, Reza MS, Islam MS. Association of TP53 codon 72 Arg>Pro polymorphism with breast and lung cancer risk in the South Asian population: a meta-analysis. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2020;21. https://doi.org/10.31557/apjcp.2020.21.6.1511.
- Rahman, Aziz MA, Aziz MA, Fatema K, Karmakar P, Sen N, Choudhury MSK. Exploration of the Hematological Profile of Male Sprague-Dawley Rats after Chronic Administration of an Ayurvedic Formulation Punarnavasava (PRV) Used in Ascites Treatment. Journal of Traditional Medicine & Clinical Naturopathy. 2020;9:287. https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/exploration-of-the-hematological-profile-of-male-spraguedawley-rats-after-chronic-administration-of-an-ayurvedic-formulation-punar-112324.html.
- Marzan S, Aziz MA, Islam MS. Association between REELIN gene polymorphisms (rs7341475 and rs262355) and risk of schizophrenia: an updated meta-analysis. Journal of Molecular Neuroscience. 2020;1-16. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12031-020-01696-4.
- Karmokar PF, Shabnaz S, Aziz MA, Asaduzzaman M, Shahriar M, Bhuiyan MA, Mosaddek ASM, Islam MS. Variants of SMAD1 gene increase the risk of colorectal cancer in the Bangladeshi population. Tumour Biology. 2020;45:1010428320958955. https://doi.org/10.1177/1010428320958955.
- Hussain MS, Siddiqui SA, Mondal S, Millat MS, Marzan S, Uddin MG, Aziz MA, Alam MF, Islam MS. Association of DRD2 gene polymorphisms with schizophrenia in the young Bangladeshi population: A pilot study. Heliyon. 2020;6:e05125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2020.e05125.
- Datta A, Zahora FT, Aziz MA, Uddin MS, Ferdous M, Millat MS, Sarwar MS, Barek MA, Jafrin S, Nahar S, Islam MS. Association study of IL10 gene polymorphisms (rs1800872 and rs1800896) with cervical cancer in the Bangladeshi women. International Immunopharmacology. 2020;89:107091. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2020.107091.
- Uddin MG, Siddiqui SA, Uddin MS, Aziz MA, Hussain MS, Noor F, Millat MS, Sen N, Muhuri B, Islam MS. Genetic variants of ZNF385B and COMT are associated with autism spectrum disorder in the Bangladeshi children. Meta Gene. 2020;26:100820. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mgene.2020.100820.
- Muhammad SB, Hassan F, Bhowmik KK, Millat MS, Sarwar MS, Aziz MA, Barek MA, Sarowar Uddin M, Ferdous M, Safiqul Islam M. Detection of association of IL1β, IL4R, and IL6 gene polymorphisms with cervical cancer in the Bangladeshi women by tetra-primer ARMS-PCR method. International Immunopharmacology. 2021;90:107131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2020.107131.
- Barek MA, Aziz MA, Islam MS. Impact of age, sex, comorbidities and clinical symptoms on the severity of COVID-19 cases: A meta-analysis with 55 studies and 10014 cases. Heliyon. 2020;6:e05684. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2020.e05684.
- Aziz MA, Sarwar MS, Akter T, Uddin MS, Xun S, Zhu Y, Islam MS. Polyphenolic molecules targeting STAT3 pathway for the treatment of cancer. Life Sciences. 2021;118999. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2020.118999.
- Das S, Naher L, Aka TD, Aziz MA, Shabnaz S, Shahriar M, Islam MS. The ECCR1 rs11615, ERCC4 rs2276466, XPC rs2228000 and XPC rs2228001 polymorphisms increase the cervical cancer risk and aggressiveness in the Bangladeshi population. Heliyon. 2021;7:e05919. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2021.e05919.
- Hasan ME, Matin M, Haque ME, Aziz MA, Millat MS, Uddin MS, Moghal MMR, Islam MS. Polymorphic variants INSIG2 rs6726538, HLA-DRB1 rs9272143, and GCNT1P5 rs7780883 contribute to the susceptibility of cervical cancer in the Bangladeshi women. Cancer Medicine. 2021;10:1829-1838. https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.3782.
- Parvin MN,Aziz MA, Rabbi SNI, Al-Mamun MA, Hanif M, Islam MS, Islam MS. Assessment of the link of ABCB1 and NR3C1 gene polymorphisms with the prednisolone resistance in pediatric nephrotic syndrome patients of Bangladesh: A genotype and haplotype approach. Journal of Advanced Research. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jare.2021.02.001.
- Barek MA, Aziz MA, Jafrin S, Islam MS. Association of GOLPH2 gene polymorphisms (rs10868366 and rs7019241) with the risk of Alzheimer's disease: Evidence from a meta-analysis. Meta Gene. 2021;28:100868. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mgene.2021.100868.
- Aziz MA, Jafrin S, Islam MS. Human TERT promoter polymorphism rs2853669 is associated with cancers: An updated meta-analysis. Human Cell. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13577-021-00520-4.
- Uddin MS, Azima A, Aziz MA, Aka TD, Jafrin S, Millat MS, Siddiqui SA, Uddin MG, Islam MS. CNTNAP2 gene polymorphisms in autism spectrum disorder and language impairment among Bangladeshi children: A case-control study combined with a meta-analysis. Human Cell. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13577-021-00546-8.
- Jafrin S, Naznin NE, Reza MS, Aziz MA, Islam MS. Risk of Stroke in CYP2C19 LoF Polymorphism Carrier Coronary Artery Disease Patients Undergoing Clopidogrel Therapy: An Ethnicity Based Updated Meta-analysis. European Journal of Internal Medicine. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2021.05.022.
- Jafrin S, Aziz MA, Islam MS. Impact of interleukin-32 germ-line rs28372698 and intronic rs12934561 polymorphisms on cancer development: A systematic review and meta-analysis. International Immunopharmacology. 2021;99:107964. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2021.107964.
- Nazneen F, Millat MS, Barek MA, Aziz MA, Uddin MS, Jafrin S, Aka TD, Islam MS. Genetic polymorphism of miR-218-2 (rs11134527) in cervical cancer: a case-control study in the Bangladeshi women. MicroRNA. 2021;10. https://doi.org/10.2174/2211536610666210715102554.
- Ivy SC, Shabnaz S, Shahriar M, Jafrin S, Aka TD, Aziz MA, Islam MS. Association of RAD51 and XRCC2 Gene Polymorphisms with Cervical Cancer Risk in the Bangladeshi Women. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2021;22(7):2099-2107. https://doi.org/10.31557/APJCP.2021.22.7.2099.
Awards & Achievements
- National Science and Technology (NST) Fellowship 2020 by Ministry of Science and Technology, Bangladesh
- Best Student Poster Presenter Award on World Pharmacists Day 2017 by Noakhali Science and Technology University
- Education Board Scholarship during B. Pharm
- Mercantile Bank Scholarship during B. Pharm