Dr. Syed Hafizur Rahman
Professor, Department of Environmental Sciences, Jahangirnagar University
Syed Hafizur Rahman is working as a Professor in the Department of Environmental Sciences, Jahangirnagar University. Dr. Rahman received his Ph.D. from the School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Birmingham, the United Kingdom, in 2006. He worked as a visiting research fellow at Sussex University under the Commonwealth fellowship program in 2015. Dr. Rahman has been involved in multi-disciplinary environmental research since his graduation in 1992. His research interests include water resources management, waste management, and climate change. He has both graduate teaching and consultancy experiences in climate change adaptation and mitigation issues, water policy analysis, EIA (Environmental Impact Assessment), SIA (Social Impact Assessment), SEA (Strategic Environmental Assessment) of different environmental projects. Dr. Rahman is a certified trainer and has more than a hundred research publications, book chapters, and booklets in national and international peer-reviewed processes.
Recent Book chapters
- Barua P., Eslamian S., Rahman S.H., 2022, Rehabilitation and Relocation Program for Climate Displaced People of Bangladesh. In: Leal Filho W., Luetz J., Ayal D. (eds) Handbook of Climate Change Management. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-22759-3_298-
- Barua, P., et al., 2021, Building Resilience Towards Climate Change Vulnerability: A Case Study of Fishing Communities in Southern Bangladesh. Small is Scale, Big In Contributions: Advancing Knowledge of Small-Scale Fisheries in Bangladesh. M. M. Islam. St. John's, NL, Canada, TBTI Global Publication Series.
- Barua P., Rahman S.H., Eslamian S., 2021, Coastal Zone and Wetland Ecosystem: Management Issues, In: W. Leal Filho et al. (eds.), Life Below Water, Encyclopedia of the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals, © Springer Nature Switzerland AG https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-71064-8_144-1
- Barua P., Eslamian S., Rahman S.H., 2021, Rehabilitation and Relocation Program for Climate Displaced People of Bangladesh. In: Leal Filho W., Luetz J., Ayal D. (eds) Handbook of Climate Change Management. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-22759-3_298-
- Barua P., Rahman S.H., Eslamian S., 2021, Global Climate Change and Inequalities. In: Leal Filho W., Azul A.M., Brandli L., Lange Salvia A., Özuyar P.G., Wall T. (eds) Reduced Inequalities. Encyclopedia of the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-71060-0_16-1
Recent Scientific Articles
- 1. Hossain E, Nesha M, Chowdhury MAZ, Rahman S. H., 2023, Human health risk assessment of edible body parts of chicken through heavy metals and trace elements quantitative analysis. PLOS ONE 18(3): e0279043. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0279043
- Rahman, S.H. and Islam, M., 2022, Urban Green-space Availability and Recommended Plantation Area in Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC) using RS-GIS, Bangladesh Journal of Environmental Research, 13, 1-12.
- Mohammed Mukhlesur Rahman, Syed Hafizur Rahman, and Mohammed Al–Amin, 2022, Estimation of Carbon Stocks in Undergrowth of the Kaptai National Park of Bangladesh, Journal of Science Innovations and Nature of Earth, 2(3): 25-29.
- Jubly, J.F., and Rahman, S.H., 2022, Spatial and Temporal Variability of Rainfall over Bangladesh during 1981-2020, Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Sustainable Development (5th UIU-ICSD 2022).
- Rahman, S.H. and Islam, M., 2022, Urban green-space availability and recommended plantation area in Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC) using RS-GIS, Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Sustainable Development (5th UIU-ICSD 2022).
- Barua, P., Rahman, S.H., Molla, M.H., 2022, Analysis of Climate Change Induced Parameters of South-Eastern Coastal Islands of Bangladesh: Comparison from 1977 to 2017, Journal of Multidisciplinary Applied Natural Science, 2(1), 47-57
- Deeba, F., Rahman, S. H., Kabir, M. Z., & Dina, N. T. 2022, Annual effective dose due to 222Rn and evaluation of 238U, 232Th and 40K contents in soil at the south-eastern coastal area of Bangladesh. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry. doi:10.1007/s10967-021-08169-x (IF:1.371)
- Rahman, M.L. and Rahman, S.H., 2021, Detection of Land Use Land Cover Changes Using Remote Sensing and GIS Techniques in a Secondary City in Bangladesh. Grassroots Journal of Natural Resources, 4(3): 132-146. Doi: https://doi.org/10.33002/nr2581.6853.040311
- Farah Deeba, Syed Hafizur Rahman, Mohammad Zafrul Kabir, Nafisa Tamannaya Dina, Sudeb Chandra Das, Salma Sultana, Farah Tasneem Ahmed, 2021, Heavy Metals Distribution and Contamination in Groundwater of the South Eastern Coastal Area of Bangladesh, Journal of Water and Environment Technology, Vol.19, No.5: 267–282. https://doi.org/10.2965/jwet.20-169
- Rana, S., Rahman S.; Forest cover change analysis using remote sensing and its impact to forest sustainability at Fasiakhali Wildlife Sanctuary. Proceedings 2021, 68, x. https://doi.org/10.3390/sciforum-046968
- Jubly, J.F., and Rahman, S.H., 2021. Estimation of Arrival and Withdrawal Date of Rainy Season in Bangladesh, Bangladesh Journal of Environmental Research, 12, 97-107.
- Commonwealth Academic Staff Fellowship for Postdoctoral research from January to April, 2015.
- Commonwealth Academic Staff Scholarship for PhD research work during 2002-2006.
- ‘William Greenwood Scholarship Fund’ from Association of Geoscientists for International Development (AGID) for M. Sc. Thesis fieldwork in 1995.
- Jahangirnagar University merit scholarship, 19990-1993.