With the onset of climate change and global warming, conservation and preservation of environment, nature centric design and human-nature dynamics has become a key issue of the current century. To address this contemporary school of thought, State University of Bangladesh (SUB) became the trend setter by introducing Environmental Science program among the private universities in Bangladesh. The Department of Environmental Science is an interdisciplinary research-oriented department in the School of Science and Technology whose mission is to provide the students the knowledge needed to solve environmental problems. Currently, the department offers a Master of Science (MS) in Environmental Science, with a forthcoming undergraduate program. The program provides a wide range of opportunities for graduate students, faculty, and researchers who share a deep interest in environmental management, policy advocacy, communication, and decision-making. The department provides excellent classroom experiences, field research opportunities, and mandatory thesis opportunities for the students. The faculty members are experts in different areas of Environmental Sciences with excellent educational backgrounds from University of Dhaka, Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh Agricultural University, and Jawaharlal Nehru University, India. The department publishes a journal named SUB Journal of Sustainable Environment and Development addressing key contemporary issues on environmental management, nature conservation, climate smart designs and climate change issues in national, regional and global context.
Importance to have MS degree in Environmental Science
· Provides academic tools needed to address fundamental and applied problems related to human interactions with natural systems for a 21st century workforce.
· "Environment" is a compulsory component of present day's any development project.
· Prepares graduates for teaching, research, consultancy and profession of public, corporate and development sectors.
· Demand for environmental experts of all level is at rapid increase both at home and abroad.
· To enable the acquisition through complementary course work and independent research work for developing an in-depth understanding of the scientific basis of the environmental challenges & create skilled processionals of Environmental Science.
· To provide advanced skills for conducting sound scientific investigations and analysis of environmental problems and also for designing and implementing practical solutions to those problem.
· To develop independent and critical thinking and awareness of the current issues and developments within the field of Environmental Science and Management.
DURATION OF THE PROGRAM:
MS in Environmental Science - An Opportunity to Complete World Class Degree in 18 Months
Master of Science in Environmental Science
Why to Study MS in Environmental Science at SUB
· SUB is pioneer for introducing its MS in Environmental Science program not only among the private universities but also among public universities in Bangladesh in 2002.
· Degree is widely accepted both at home and abroad.
· Wi-Fi campus and state of the art well equipped classrooms with small class size.
· Presence of overseas students.
· Well maintained modern library with e-journals.
· Spacious seminar room with Internet facilities in the department as well as in the library.
· Multidisciplinary cutting-edge world class academic program with OBE (Outcome Based Education) curriculum approved by the UGC.
· Covers all major aspects of the discipline with flexible course load.
· Supportive atmosphere with renowned teachers.
· Individualized attention from each faculty.
· Classes are held only on Friday at a prime location at the corner of Mirpur Road, Kalabagan.
· Organizes regular seminars on recent environmental issues.
· Open for students from all background/streams.
· Field visit; integrates and applies research.
· Affordable tuition fee (provision of group, female, spouse/siblings, and ethnic minority waiver).
· Assistance for higher studies, i.e. M.Phil and Ph.D (both at home and abroad).
· Strong/active alumni body (i.e. SUBAA).
· SUB environmental science graduates have already excelled in various positions of local, national, regional and international levels with remarkable reputation even top level of public organizations such as BADC, LGED and RAJUK
· Present students base includes government organizations such as Armed Forces, BCS (Administration, Foreign Service, Police, Ansar & VDP, Forestry and other cadres), BADC, BCSIR, BEPZA, BJMC, BMDF, BWDB, CEGIS, City Corporations and Municipalities, DoE, DWASA, LGED, NWPGCL, PHE, PKSF, PWD, RAJUK, Railway, REB, RHD, SDF, Seed Wing; international organizations such as ADB, World Bank, FAO, WFP, UN organizations, Development Partners; multinational organizations such as Chevron, Grameenphone, KFC, Lafarge-Holcim Cement, Perfetti Van Melle and SGS; manufacturing sector such as ACI, power generation and real estate companies, footwear industries, NGOs, research institutions, both public and private universities, renowned English medium schools and also from overseas.
· Have the capacity to illustrate progressed autonomous basic knowledge, inspection and reflection.
· Have a solid sense of mental aptitude and the capability of grants.
· Have in-depth information of their master discipline(s)
· Target to reach a tall level of accomplishment in composing, investigate or venture exercises, problem-solving and communication.
· Be basic and inventive masterminds, with an inclination for proceeded self-directed learning.
· Be able to look at basically, incorporate and assess information over a wide extend of disciplines.
· Have a set of adaptable and transferable aptitudes for distinctive sorts of business.
· Be able to start and actualize helpful alter in their communities, counting callings and work environments.
SUB Journal of Sustainable Environment and Development
SUB Journal of Sustainable Environment and Development is published by the Department of Environmental Science every year addressing key contemporary environmental issues including student's qualitative research work. It aims to foster interdisciplinary communication and promote understanding of significant environmental issues. The journal seeks to publish original papers on application of environment and development issue such as biodiversity, climate change, Environmental pollution and management, human impact on environment, environmental contaminants and human health effects and sustainable development.
The university operates a round the year admission system divided into two semesters i.e. Spring (January-June) and Fall (July-December).The students are required to fulfill the university admission requirement in addition to the UGC guidelines. The admission forms and relevant information can be collected from the Admissions Office in the main building. Completed applications together with required documents should be submitted to the Admission Office as per deadlines.
For convenience of the graduate students seeking admission in the master programs, the admission office is also open on Fridays and Saturdays besides the normal university working hours.
Graduates from any discipline with minimum second class in all the examinations from any recognized and reputed local or overseas institution (graduates from pass course and BOU are also accepted provided they have strong academic background/work experience).
Name: Rozina Parvin Rakhi
Designation: Senior Executive
Contact no. 01766662769, 01731556221
Telephone No.: +880-2-58151781-5, 9128329, 9140960, 09613782338 Ext. 505, 218; 01713439008
Courses & Credit hours
|Areas||No. of Course||Credit|
|Core Courses||9 Courses||27|
|Elective Courses||5 Courses||15|
|Title & Description of Course||Credits||Prerequisite|
|ES 501 - Fundamentals of Environmental Science
|ES 502 Ecology
|ES 503 Environmental Chemistry
|ES 504 Atmospheric Pollution Management
|ES 507 Environmental Economics
|ES 523 Natural Resource Conservation
|ES 526 Climatology
|ES 532 Environmental Impact Assessment
|ES 533 Environmental Law and Enforcement
|ES 505 Water Resource Management
|ES 509 Environmental Biotechnology and Microbiology
|ES 520 Environmental Policy and Planning
|ES 521 Biodiversity and Conservation
|ES 522 Environmental Analysis and Interpretation
|ES 525 Solid Waste Management
|ES 527 Estuarine and Marine Environment
|ES 529 Remote Sensing and GIS
|ES 531 Environmental Management Systems
|ES 535 Environmental Toxicology
|ES 541 Climate Change
|ES 542 Urban Environmental Management
|ES 543 Ethics and Moral Education
|ES 591 Field Work in Environmental Science
|ES 598 Viva - Voce
|ES 599 Thesis
Tuition and Fees
|MS in Environmental Science||207,200 TK|