The Department of English Studies at SUB began its journey as a full-fledged department in 2003. The objective of the department is mainly to develop student’s English language proficiency, and intellectual and inter-personal qualities and characteristics. The programs offered by the Department are multi-syllabus-based combining language and literature courses in order to make career options wide and free ranging from teaching to media, government to multi-national jobs. Keeping this in mind the department offers Bachelor of Arts and Masters of Arts in English curricula that are not only interesting but also provide a vibrant, stimulating and supportive study environment.
To produce compassionate, enlightened and qualified English graduates who can accommodate themselves in the fast-paced competitive world.
· To equip students with necessary 21st century skills so that they can excel professionally and become global citizens.
· To facilitate a comprehensive learning of English and other foreign languages as well as providing the knowledge of the latest developments in the field of language teaching and learning.
· To provide a conducive academic environment that inspires students to nurture their intellectual and artistic curiosity and creativity along with a love towards nature.
· To enable the graduates to excel in different professional arenas by exposing them to a multidisciplinary curriculum.
· To develop a sense of unified humanity by exposing them to a multilingual and multicultural environment.
BA in English
MA in English Literature
MA in Applied Linguistics and English Language Teaching (ELT)
The university academic programs follow a trimester system consisting of Spring (January-June) and Fall (July-December). The students are required to fulfill the university admission requirements in consistence with UGC guidelines. The admission forms and relevant information can be collected from the Admission Office. Completed applications together with required documents should be submitted to the Admission Office as per deadlines.
For convenience of the students seeking admission into Bachelor or Masters programs, the admission office is also open on Fridays and Saturdays besides the normal university working days and hours.
MA in Applied Linguistics & ELT
· B.A. (Hons.) in English (3 or 4 years), or graduate in any discipline with one-year M.A. (Preliminary) in English.
Applied Linguistics & ELT Credit
Hours to be completed :36
Name: Md. Abdullah Al Masum
Designation: Sr. Executive
Contact no. 01766663564
Telephone No.: +880-2-58151781-5, 9128329, 9140960, 09613782338 Ext. 110
Courses & Credit hours
|Areas||No. of Course||Credit|
|Title & Description of Course||Credits||Prerequisite|
|ENG 14511 Morphology, Syntax and Semantics
|ENG 14512 English Phonetics and Phonology
|ENG 14513 Psychological Processes in Language Learning
|ENG 14514 Sociolinguistics
|ENG 14521 Discourse Analysis and Pragmatics
|ENG 14522 Language Policy and Planning
|ENG 14523 Syllabus Design and Materials Development
|ENG 14524 English as an International Language
|ENG 14531 Principles and Methods of ELT
|ENG 14532 Teaching and Testing Techniques
|ENG 14533 Teaching Practicum
|ENG 14534 Research Methodology and Dissertation
Tuition and Fees
|MA in Applied Linguistics & ELT||154,000 TK|