Prof. Dr. Md. Moklesur Rahman Sarker is currently working as a Professor and Head of Academic & Research Affairs in the Department of Pharmacy, State University of Bangladesh. He is also serving as the Head of Institutional Animal Ethics Committee and Executive Member of Human Ethics Committee/Institutional Review Board of the State University of Bangladesh. Prior to this, he served as the Director of Institutional Quality Assurance Cell of State University (a program of Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project of the University Grants Commission of Bangladesh).
Prof. Moklesur obtained PhD in Immunopharmacology (Pharmaceutical Sciences) from Okayama University (Japan), and Bachelor and Master of Pharmacy degrees from Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh. He has 22 years’ colourful working experiences in different academic and research institutions in Bangladesh and several countries of the world. Before joining to State University of Bangladesh, he worked as Post-Doctoral Visiting Research Fellow and Principal Investigator of two High Impact Research Projects in the University of Malaya. Prior to this, he worked as the Head of Pharmacology Department, Coordinator for Post-Graduate Program, Chairman of Animal Ethics Committee, and Head of Animal Experimental Unit of Lincoln University College Malaysia; Head of Pharmacy Department in Daffodil International University (Bangladesh) and also worked in national and multinational Pharmaceutical companies in Bangladesh. He is a Registered “A” grade Pharmacist in Bangladesh and GCP certified Clinical Researcher endorsed by the DG Health of Malaysia.
Prof. Moklesur is currently supervising research projects of PhD (01), M. Pharm. (Thesis) (03), M. Pharm. (Project) (07), B. Pharm. (Hons.) (06), and funded research projects (03). In the past, he has already supervised 1 Post-Doctoral, 3 PhD, 97 postgraduate and 75 undergraduate students’ research projects. He has completed 80 Research Projects and 14 different research projects in Pharmaceutical and Health Sciences are ongoing. So far he has published 105 scientific articles in peer reviewed journals including high impact factor journals published by Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Frontiers, Taylor & Francis, Informa Healthcare, Springer-Nature, BioMed Central, Dove Press, and Wolters Kluwer-MedKnow Publications. He is serving as the Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology; Editorial Board Member of several international journals including Frontiers in Bioscience-Landmark (Impact Factor: 4.009), Frontiers in Pharmacology (Impact Factor: 5.810), Frontiers in Endocrinology (Impact Factor:5.55 ) Pharmaceutical Sciences (Web of Science, Scopus, PubMed), Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences (Scopus, PubMed), International Journal of Pharmacology (ISI, Scopus, IF: 0.692), Medicine & Health (Web of Science), Int. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharm. Sciences (Scopus). He is also serving as a Reviewer of 25 peer reviewed international journals having high impact factors. His published articles have received 1254 citations, H-index 19, i-10-index: 33, and Researchgate (RG) score: 31.35.
His research goal is to develop novel formulations of functional foods and food bioactives/phytocompounds with the scientific evidences of preclinical, clinical and toxicological studies for the prevention and treatment of emerging diseases avoiding major side-effects of contemporary drugs. His research expertise include In vitro, In vivo, Clinical Research; Pharmacological, Toxicological, Immunological studies; Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes mellitus; Hyperlipidemia/Obesity, and Fatty liver; Cancer research, Immunomodulating agents; Phytochemical extraction and analytical techniques; Formulation, development and commercialization of innovative products for the management of diseases; Prophetic medicines, phytomedicines/herbal medicines, functional foods & nutraceuticals, food drugs interactions, and emerging public health issues. His research team is currently focusing on the discovery and development of alternative medicines (herbal/phytomedicines, nutraceuticals, functional foods) for the treatment/management of diabetes, cancer, immunity, obesity/hyperlipidemia, fatty liver and aphrodisiac problems with minimum or without side-effects.
Prof. Moklesur secured several national and international research grants as Principal Investigator including Antidiabetic special Research Grant from the Ministry of Science and Technology (Bangladesh) 2019, Special research grant for the development of Immunobooster against COVID-19 infections from the Ministry of Science and Technology (Bangladesh) 2020, BKP Research Grant from the University of Malaya in 2014, Allocated High Impact Research Grant for research on diabetes and stem cells from the University of Malaya (Malaysia), Research grant for the development of anticancer Prophetic medicine against brain tumor (GBM) from the MABL Chair for Prophetic Medicine, Taiba University (Saudi Arabia), and Several Contract Research Projects on liver disease, kidney disease, hyperlipidemia, chemotherapy induced diarrhoea, Parkinsons disease, and cancer from Innoscience Research Sdn. Bhd (Malaysia).
Prof. Moklesur attended a number of national and international conferences, workshops and scientific seminars as Keynote speaker, Invited speaker and/or Oral presenter, and bagged several awards as the best speaker. In the year 2015, he delivered his scientific presentation on his discovery of antidiabetic medications in Harvard University, USA, which was highly appreciated by the high level scientists from Harvard Medical School, National Institute of Health (USA), and scientist and academicians from different universities of USA and other countries.
Prof. Moklesur is an experienced researcher and supervisor of high-impact research projects. He is currently mentoring a number of research projects of PhD, Post-Graduate and Undergraduate students and also involved with 20 different research projects in different academic and research institutions in Malaysia, USA, Australia, Canada, UK, Turkey, Egypt, Indonesia, UAE, Oman, China, Japan, Saudi Arabia, and Bangladesh. He has obtained three PATENTs for the discovery and development of medications for diabetes, hyperlipidemia and immune-disorders. He is the founder and Chief Researcher of Health Med Science Research Network (Bangladesh), and Honorary Faculty Member of Novel Global Community Education Foundation, Australia. He is a member of several professional bodies, such as Academic Society of Functional Foods and Bioactive Compounds - USA, Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society, Pharmaceutical Society of Japan, Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Society, American Society of Microbiology, and Bangladesh Pharmacy Graduates’ Association. He has been listed as a Top Researcher of Pharmaceutical and Medical Sciences by the AD Scientific Index with securing 1st position in State University of Bangladesh, 21st position in Bangladesh, 800th position in Asia, and 2683th position in the World. As an acknowledgement of his outstanding contribution for research and innovation, his biography has been published in the Marquis “Who’s Who in the World 2016” (33rd Edition, VIP Number: 37008993)”.
- Sarker MMR*, Khan F, Mohamed IN. Therapeutic Potential of Carica papaya L. Leaves for the Treatment of Dengue Fever: A Review Based on Scientific Evidences. Frontiers in Pharmacology 2021; 12: 610912. DOI: 10.3389/fphar.2021.610912 (ISI Impact Factor: 5.810) *Corresponding author
- Liu D, Ouyang YZ, Chen R, Wang M, Ai C, El-Seedi HR, Sarker MMR, Chen X, Zhao C. Nutraceutical potentials of algal ulvan for healthy aging. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 2021; 194:422-434 (ISI Impact Factor: 6.953).
- Li X, Gao X, Zhang H, Liu Y, Sarker MMR, Wu Y, Chen X, Zhao C. The anti-hyperuricemic effects of green alga Enteromorpha prolifera polysaccharide via regulation of the uric acid transporters in vivo. Food and Chemical Toxicology 2021; 158:112630 (Elsevier, ISI Impact Factor: 6.023).
- Alam S, Sarker MMR *, Sultana TN, Chowdhury MNR, Rashid MA, Chaity NI, Xiao J, Zhao C, Hafez E, Khan SA, Mohamed IN. Antidiabetic phytochemicals from medicinal plants: prospective candidates for new drug discovery and development. Frontiers in Endocrinology (ISI Impact Factor: 5.555) - (In press) *Corresponding author
- Hossain MS, Sharfaraz A, Dutta A, Ahsan A, Masud MA, Ahmed IA, Goh BH, Urbi Z, Sarker MMR, Ming LC. A review of ethnobotany, phytochemistry, antimicrobial pharmacology and toxicology of Nigella sativa L. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy 2021; 143:112182 (Elsevier, ISI Impact Factor: 6.529).
- Alam S, Sarker MMR*, Afrin S, Richi FT, Zhao C, Zhou J-R, Mohamed IN. Traditional herbal medicines, bioactive compounds, and plant products against COVID-19: Update on clinical trials and mechanisms of action. Frontiers in Pharmacology 2021; 12:671498 (ISI Impact Factor: 5.810) *Corresponding author
- Alam S, Kamal TB, Sarker MMR*, Zhou J-R, Rahman SMA, Mohamed IN. Therapeutic effectiveness and safety of repurposing drugs for the treatment of COVID-19: Position standing in 2021. Frontiers in Pharmacology 2021; 12:659577 (ISI Impact Factor: 5.810) *Corresponding author
- Alam S, Rashid MA, Sarker MMR, Emon NU, Arman M, Mohamed IN, Haque MR. Antidiarrheal, antimicrobial and antioxidant potentials of methanol extract of Colocasia gigantea Hook. f. leaves: evidenced from in vivo and in vitro studies along with computer-aided approaches. BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapy 2021; 21: 119 (ISI Impact Factor: 3.659).
- Sarker MMR*, Soma MA. Updates on Clinical Study Reports of Phytotherapy in the Management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. In: Eddouks M, Editor. Phytotherapy in the Management of Diabetes and Hypertension. Vol. 4. Sharjah, UAE: Bentham Science Publishers; 2020. p. 1-60 (Book chapter) *Corresponding author
- Kamarudin MNA, Sarker MMR*, Zhou J-R, Parhar I. Metformin in colorectal cancer: Molecular mechanism, preclinical and clinical aspects. Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research 2019; 38:491 (ISI Impact Factor: 11.161) *Corresponding author
- Khan F, Sarker MMR*, Ming LC, Mohamed IN, Zhao C, Sheikh BY, Tsong HF, Rashid MA. Comprehensive Review on Phytochemicals, Pharmacological and Clinical Potentials of Gymnema sylvestre. Frontiers in Pharmacology 2019; 10: 1223 (ISI Impact Factor: 5.810) *Corresponding author
- Chen Y, Liu D, Wang D, Lai S, Zhong R, Liu Y, Yang C, Liu B, Sarker MMR, Zhao C. Hypoglycemic activity and gut microbiota regulation of a novel polysaccharide from Grifola frondosa in type 2 diabetic mice. Food and Chemical Toxicity 2019; 126: 295-302 (ISI Impact Factor: 6.023).
- Jahan E, Kassab YW, Fen NC, Ming LC, Yen WY, Hameed MA, Hong YH, Sarker MMR. Self-care and self-management among type 2 diabetes mellitus patients- A focused review. Frontiers in Endocrinology 2018; 9:489 (ISI Impact Factor: 5.555).
- Chen Y, Liu Y, Sarker MMR, Yan X, Yang C, Zhao L, Lv X, Liu B, Zhao C. Structural characterization and antidiabetic potential of a novel heteropolysaccharide from Grifola frondosa via IRS1/PI3K-JNK signaling pathways. Carbohydrate Polymers 2018; 198: 452-461 (ISI Impact Factor: 9.381).
- Shajib MS, Rashid RB, Long MC, Sarker MMR, Islam S, Nahar L, Sarker SD, Datta BK, Rashid MA. Polymethoxyflavones from Nicotiana plumbaginifolia (Solanaceae) exert antinociceptive and neuropharmacological effects in mice. Frontiers in Pharmacology 2018; 9:85 (ISI Impact Factor: 5.810).
- Nesa MS, Karim SMS, Api K, Sarker MMR, Islam MM, Kabir A, Sarker MK, Nahar K, Asaduzzaman M, Munir MS. Screening of Baccaurea ramiflora(Lour.) extracts for cytotoxic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, neuropharmacological and antidiarrheal activities. BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapeutics 2018; 18:35 (ISI Impact Factor: 3.659).
- Sheikh FICS BY, Sarker MMR*, Kamarudin MNA and Ismail A. Prophetic Medicine as potential functional food elements in the intervention of cancer: A review. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy 2017; 95:614-648 (Elsevier, ScienceDirect) (ISI Impact Factor: 6.529) *Corresponding author
- Sheikh BY, Sarker MMR*, Kamarudin MNA, Mohan GMD. Antiproliferative and apoptosis inducing effects of citral via p53 and ROS-induced mitochondrial-mediated apoptosis in human colorectal HCT116 and HT29 cell lines. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy 2017; 96:834-846 (Elsevier, Science Direct) (ISI Impact Factor: 6.529) *Corresponding author
- Jesuraj AV, Sarker MMR*, Long CM, Praya MJ, and Kumar MR. Enhancement of the production of L-Glutaminase, an anticancer enzyme, from Aeromonas veronii by adaptive and induced mutation techniques. Plos One 2017 12(8):e0181745 (ISI Impact Factor: 3.240) *Corresponding author
- Rouhi SZT, Sarker MMR*, Rahmat A, Alkahtani SA, Othman F. The effect of pomegranate fresh juice versus pomegranate seed powder on metabolic indices, lipid profile, inflammatory biomarkers, and the histopathology of pancreatic Islets of Langerhans in streptozotocin-nicotinamide induced type 2 diabetic Sprague-Dawley rats. BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapeutics 2017; 17: 156 (Nature-Springer) (ISI Impact Factor: 3.659) *Corresponding author
- Kamarudin NMA, Sarker MMR*>, Kadir HA, Ming LC. Ethnopharmacological uses, phytochemistry, biological activities and therapeutic applications of Clinacanthus nutans (Burm. f.) Lindau: A comprehensive review. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2017; 206: 245-266 (Elsevier, Science Direct) (ISI Impact Factor: 4.360) *Corresponding author
- Sarker MMR*, Ming LC, Sarker MZI, and Choudhuri MSK. Immunopotentiality of Ayurvedic polyherbal formulations "Saribadi" and "Anantamul Salsa" with augmentation of IgM production and lymphocytes proliferation: A preliminary study. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine 2016; 6(7): 568-573 (Elsevier, PUBMED) (ISI Impact Factor: 1.545) *Corresponding author
- Sarker MMR*, Zihad MATR, Islam M, Nahar M, Islam MM, Imam H, Ghosh A, Mustapha MS, and Ismail NE. Antihyperglycemic, insulin-sensitivity and anti-hyperlipidemic potential of Ganoderma lucidum, a dietary mushroom, on alloxan- and glucocorticoid-induced diabetic Long-Evans rats. Functional Foods in Health and Diseases 5 (12), 450-466 (2015) (ISI Impact Factor: 1.88) *Corresponding author
- Kifayatullah M, Mustapha MS, Senguptha P, Sarker MMR, Das A and Das SK. Evaluation of the acute and sub-acute toxicity of the ethanolic extract of Pericampylus glaucus (Lam.) in Balb/c mice. Journal of Acute Disease 4(4), 303-308 (2015) (Elsevier, Science Direct, SCOPUS, Web of Science cited).
- Sarker MMR*, Islam KN, Huri HZ, Rahman M, Imam H, Hosen MB, Mohammad N and Sarker MZI. Studies of the impact of occupational exposure on pharmaceutical workers to the development of antimicrobial drug resistance. Journal of Occupational Health 56 (4), 260-270 (2014) (ISI Impact Factor: 2.708) *Corresponding author
- Sarker MMR* and Zhong M. Keyhole Limpet Hemocyanin augmented the killing activity, cytokine production and proliferation of NK cells, and inhibited the proliferation of Meth A carcoma cells in vitro. Indian Journal of Pharmacology 46(1), 28-33 (2014) (PUBMED) (ISI Impact Factor: 1.200) *Corresponding author
- Imam H, Mahbub NU, Khan MF, Hana HK and Sarker MMR. Alpha Amylase Enzyme Inhibitory and Anti-inflammatory Effect of Lawsonia inermis. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences 16 (23), 1796-1800 (2013) (SCOPUS, Web of Science, PubMed indexed).
- Sarker MMR* and Gohda E. Promotion of anti-keyhole limpet hemocyanin IgM and IgG antibody productions in vitro by red bell pepper extract. Journal of Functional Foods 5(4), 1918-1926 (2013) (Elsevier, Science Direct, PUBMED) (ISI Impact Factor: 4.451) *Corresponding author
- Sarker MMR*, Nahar S, Shahriar M, Seraj S and Choudhuri MSK. Preliminary study of the immunostimulating activity of an ayruvedic preparation, Kanakasava, on the splenic cells of BALB/c mice in vitro. Pharmaceutical Biology 50(11), 1467-1472 (2012) (Taylor & Francis, PUBMED) (ISI Impact Factor: 3.503) *Corresponding author
- Goto T, Sarker MMR, Zhong M, Tanaka S and Gohda E. Enhancement of IgM Production in B Cells by the Extract of Red Bell Pepper. Journal of Health Science 56(3), 304-309 (2010) (ISI Impact Factor: 0.81)
Total publication: 105, *denotes corresponding author, Citations: 1254, H-index: 19, i-10 index: 33 [Only selected 30 articles are listed below]
Awards & Achievements
- Influential Researcher of Pharmaceutical and Medical Sciences by the AD Scientific Index with securing 1st position in State University of Bangladesh, 21st position in Bangladesh, 800th position in Asia, and 2683th position in the World.
- The Best Speaker (Oral Presenter) Award in ISE-SFEC National Conference 2017 on Drug Discovery and Development from Natural Sources, held at Dhaka University on 21 May 2017 organized by Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh in association with UGC of Bangladesh’s Higher Education Quality Enhancement Program (HEQEP) Sub-Project.
- The Best Poster Presenter Award in 1st International Conference on Industrial Pharmacy (ICIP) 2014, held at Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia on 16-17 August 2014 organized by Faculty of Pharmacy, International Islamic University Malaysia.
- OMSA (Okayama Muslims Students Association) (Japan) EXCELLENCE Award
- Awarded with Japan Students Services Organization (JASSO) scholarship: Ministry of Education, Japan.
- Scholarship and award from Otsuka Toshimi Scholarship Foundation: Osaka, Japan
- Jahangirnagar University Merit Scholarship: Savar, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Principal Investigator
Grant name: Ministry of Education (Bangladesh) Grant for Advanced Research in Education (2020-23)
Grant amount: BDT 21, 00,000
Project Title: Ddevelopment of an anti-COVID-19 Phytomedicine formulation and evaluation of its immunoboosting, anti-inflammatory, anti-coagulating, and anti-oxidant activities against novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) targeting to use for the prevention and treatment of COVID-19.
Grant name: Ministry of Science & Technology (Bangladesh), Special Research Grant (2020-2021)
Grant amount: BDT 2, 00,000
Project Title: Development of a nutraceutical-based Anti-COVID-19 immunobooster and evaluation of its immunoboosting, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-coagulating activities to be used for the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 infections.
Grant name: Ministry of Science & Technology (Bangladesh), Special Research Grant (2019-2020)
Grant amount: BDT 2, 00,000
Project Title: Toxicity Studies and Pharmacological Evaluation of Chirota (Swertia chirayata) -Based Novel Herbal Preparation (CBHP) in type 2 diabetic Sprague-Dawley (SD) rats model
Principal Investigator/Project Director
Grant name: MABL Chair for Scientific Miracles in Prophetic Medicine Research Grant
Grant amount: USD 44,000
Project Title: Assessment of antitumor and immunopotentiating activity of a novel formulation from Prophetic medicine against Glioblastoma multiforme brain tumor. Grant provider: MABL Chair for Scientific Miracles of Prophetic Medicine (MABL), Taibah University, Ministry of Higher Education, Saudi Arabia.
Grant name: High Impact Research (HIR) Grant
Grant amount: Malaysian Ringgit 80,000 (USD 20,000) allocated
Project Title: Effect of exercise on the Pharmacodynamics of Sitagliptin (alone or in combination with other hypoglycemic drugs), organ functions, biochemical, humoral and cellular immunological changes in Type 2 diabetic Sprague-Dawley (SD) rats. Grant provider: HIR Grant, University of Malaya, Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia
Innovator of 3 research patents for the development of antidiabetic, lipid lowering and immunostimulating novel preparations/therapeutics/adjuvants.
- Registered “A” Grade Pharmacist licensed by Pharmacy Council of Bangladesh in 1999.
- GCP certified clinical researcher (GCP certificate from DG Health, Ministry of Health, Malaysia)
- Biography published in the Marquis Who’s Who in the World 2016 (33rd Edition) (VIP No: 37008993)